Aby se krasochuť šlechtila — unikáty z Knihovny Uměleckoprůmyslového musea v Praze

Knihovna UPM – první a největší česká veřejně přístupná knihovna zaměřená na umění, architekturu a design

Knihovna byla založena spolu s Uměleckoprůmyslovým museem v Praze v roce 1885, aby se „krasochuť v řemeslech a průmyslu šlechtila“. Otevřena byla 4. října 1887 v zapůjčených prostorech v Rudolfinu a 20. listopadu 1900 v nově postavené budově Uměleckoprůmyslového musea, kde je dodnes přístupná všem zájemcům.

V knihovně se dochoval původní interiér — stoly, židle, hodiny, dekorativní výmalba a barokní knihovní skříně upravené pro prostory knihovny. Stále se užívá i předmětový katalog z roku 1932 obsahující na sto tisíc lístků. Interiér studovny zdobí vzácné fajánsové vázy a japonské porcelánové zásobnice ze sbírky UPM.

Fond knihovny dnes čítá přes 190 tisíc svazků českých a zahraničních monografií, časopisů, výstavních a aukčních katalogů — většina je zpracována v on-line katalogu. Ve volně přístupné studovně je k dispozici příručka, výběrová literatura sledovaných oborů, nové přírůstky, publikace vydávané museem, aktuální čísla odebíraných časopisů a několik počítačů s internetem.

Na výstavu byla vybrána esteticky zajímavá a historicky hodnotná díla z fondu. Vystaveny jsou též některé knižní zajímavosti vynikající svým zpracováním a obsahem — pozoruhodné knižní vazby, kresby a malované studie, vzácné módní časopisy, dobové vzorníky, předlohy a vzory architektury, ornamentální výzdoby, typografie. Všechny vystavené svazky jsou dohledatelné v on-line katalogu knihovny.

Výstavu připravili zaměstnanci knihovny a vznik umožnila spolupráce ostatních kolegů z Uměleckoprůmyslového musea v Praze.

Cultivated mode — uniques from Library of the Museum of Decorative Arts in Prague

Library of the Museum of Decorative Arts in Prague — the first and largest Czech public library focused on art, architecture and design

The library was founded together with the Museum of Applied Arts in Prague (UPM) in 1885 with the aim of “cultivating refined taste in craft and industry”. It was opened on 4 October 1887 in the rented premises of the Rudolfinum, and on 20 November 1900 in the newly constructed building of the Museum of Applied Arts, where it is still accessible to all those interested even today. The original interior of the library has been preserved — tables, chairs, clocks, the decorative interior paint, and the Baroque library bookcases adapted for the library facility. The subject catalogue from 1932 is still in use and includes around 100 000 index cards. The interior of the study hall is decorated with rare faience vases and Japanese porcelain containers from the UPM collection. Today, the library’s collection includes over 190 000 volumes of Czech and foreign monographs, magazines, exhibition and auction catalogues — most of which are entered in the online catalogue. The freely accessible study hall offers a handbook, selected literature from popular fields of interest, new additions, works published by the museum, current issues of subscribed journals and several PCs with internet connection.

Aesthetically interesting and historically significant works from the collection were carefully selected for the exhibition. There are also some interesting books that are notable in their appearance and content — remarkable book bindings, drawings and painted studies, rare fashion magazines, architectural models and designs, ornamental decorations, typography, and historical swatches. All exhibited items can be found in the library catalogue.

The exhibition was prepared by library staff and was made possible thanks to the cooperation with other colleagues from the UPM.